Withdrawal from All Subjects

Are you a UD student considering departing from IUB before the end of the term?

If so, make an appointment with your UD advisor, come in for drop-in advising, or contact an advisor at Maxwell Hall 101 during normal business hours.

To withdraw from all subjects means you are choosing to withdraw from IU Bloomington for the current term.

Please note the following exceptions:

  • Withdrawal from All Subjects Procedures

    To withdraw from all subjects after the first week of classes through the last day of semester classes (the Friday before finals week), you will need to meet with your University Division academic advisor or come to the University Division Advising Office in Maxwell Hall 101 during normal business hours (except in the cases indicated above).

    However, if a student is not in Bloomington or physically incapacitated, such as in the case of a health issue, you may complete a Withdrawal From all Subjects via fax or email. To find out more, go to Procedure if Incapacitated or not in Bloomington (see below).

    If the exceptions do not apply to you, you will complete University Division’s Withdrawal From All Subjects form (accessible only to UD staff) with your advisor.

    If you have Withdrawn From All Subjects in a previous term, as well as the current term, you will need to petition your school (UD) before being approved for enrollment for the following term. For more information see the accordion entitled Multiple Withdrawals from All Subjects below.

    Other Important Information

    Completed Coursework

    If you completed a 1st 8 weeks course and received a grade, that grade will remain on your transcript as recorded and you will only be eligible for W's in any courses currently in-progress.  If you want to petition a grade change for a course in which you have already received a grade, please go to the Student Advocates Office.


    After the Auto-W deadline, instructors reserve the right to grant students withdrawing from all subjects a W or F in their course.  If you want to complete a Withdrawal From All Subjects after the Auto-W deadline, please consult with your instructors regarding the assigned grade (i.e., W or F) for courses.


    Enrollment can impact housing eligibility.  If you live in a residence hall or in apartment housing, contact your Residence Manager to learn about your housing options.  Contact the RPS Assignments Office or Apartment Assignment Office to cancel housing and meal contacts.  If you withdraw from all classes during the last 2 weeks of the spring semester, you are required to move out of your residence hall space within 3 days of withdrawing or by 8am on Monday of finals week, whichever date is earlier.

    Financial Aid

    If you receive any type of financial aid (loans, grants, work study, scholarships, etc.), you should contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance to learn about ending aid, delaying aid, transferring aid, repaying aid, or future eligibility for aid.


    Read your Account Summary in your Student Center in One.IU to be sure your bills are paid. Contact the Office of the Bursar if you have any questions.


    If you withdraw from all subjects within a refund period, you may expect your refund to be credited to your account or mailed to your permanent address within four to six weeks. For questions, contact the Office of the Bursar. If you wish to petition for a post-deadline refund, you may complete and submit the Fee Policy Appeal Form. There is no fee to withdraw from all subjects.

    Computer Accounts

    If you do not enroll for more than one term, all your accounts will be disabled sometime in the next term. Contact University Information Technology Services (UITS) for details. You may reactivate your accounts after you enroll again in a future term.

    Future Enrollment

    You do not give up your admission to Indiana University Bloomington or your eligibility to enroll in any future terms. You may need to reactivate your record to be assigned an Enrollment Appointment for the next term you plan to take classes.

    • If you plan to enroll for next term, and have not completed a WAS in the past, you can plan to register for classes as usual. An enrollment appointment will be posted at about mid-semester in the Student Center app on One.IU.edu.
    • If you take more than the current term off, your records will go to an inactive status and no future enrollment appointment will be set for you. When you choose to return, complete the Returning Students Form to reactivate your record. Contact University Division Records if you have any questions.

    Academic Advising

    Please feel free to remain in contact with your assigned University Division (or University Division-Affiliated) academic advisor. You may also contact UD Academic Advising at udivhelp@indiana.edu or (812) 855-6768.


    Some holds can restrict services or prevent you from enrolling for classes. Check the Student Center app on One.IU.edu, in the box at the right of the screen, labeled “Holds.” Click on the details of each hold to learn which office placed the hold, and how to contact that office to have the hold removed from your record. It will be easier to take care of these now.

  • Procedure if Incapacitated or not in Bloomington

    Faxing or emailing a Withdrawal From All Subjects form is only an option if a student is not in Bloomington or is physically incapacitated.

    If you have questions about submitting a withdrawal From All Subject form by fax or email, call (812)855-6768 to talk to an advisor.  Please note the following exceptions:

    To submit an electronic Withdrawal From All Subjects form, please follow the instructions below:

    1. Print and fill out the “Electronic Withdraw from All Subjects” form 
    2. To submit the form by email: scan the form after signing it, attach it to your IU email, and send to udivhelp@indiana.edu

    To FAX the form: Send to (812)855-7623 Attention: Jelita Mitchell (Withdrawal From All Subjects)

  • Multiple Withdrawals from All Subjects

    Indiana University Bloomington undergraduate students who complete a Withdrawal from All Subjects for two academic terms (fall, spring, or summer) will not be permitted to register for a future term without written permission of the dean of their college/school or the dean’s delegate. These students will have a Negative Service Indicator (hold) that prevents future registration placed on their record by the Office of the Registrar until such permission is obtained.

    For University Division students petitioning to register after multiple withdrawals, please use the following petition form: Multiple Withdrawals From All Subjects Petition

    Print the form and mail it to:

    Attn: MWAS
    OVPUE Records Office
    Maxwell Hall 028
    750 East Kirkwood Ave.
    Bloomington, IN 47405-7101

    Or email it to udivrec@indiana.edu.

    Petitions must be received two weeks prior to the start of classes for the term you plan to enroll. You will get a decision via email within two weeks of receipt.  If you are approved you may be required to meet with an advisor before registration, if you have not done so already.

    Email udivhelp@indiana.edu with any questions.