Nondegree Enrollment

Enroll in undergraduate courses at IU as a nondegree student to:

  • update your job skills.
  • "test the waters" before applying to a degree program.
  • take IU classes as a visiting undergraduate student from another college or university.
  • stimulate your mind.

Please note:

  • Students dismissed or on probation at IU or another college or university are generally not admitted to the non-degree program.
  • In the non-degree program, you will receive a grade and credit for each class you take.  If you wish to ONLY audit a class or classes, or take classes without receiving a grade or credit, please refer to Student Central on Union.
  • You must have a high school diploma or GED to be eligible for the nondegree program. If you are a high school student who would like to enroll in classes at IUB, you may be interested in the OPEN program. Find more information about the OPEN program.

Please bring a photo ID with you to turn your forms in to our office in person, or have the third page notarized and send them via fax, mail, or email.

Maxwell Hall, Room 028
750 E. Kirkwood Ave. Bloomington, IN 47405
Office hours: 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday
Fax: (812) 856-6743

Important: please be aware that by completing the enrollment forms, you are not applying to a degree program at IU Bloomington. If you plan to apply for a degree program at a later date or transfer credits to another campus or  school,  please confirm in advance with the specific department or school that your courses will transfer as intended. 

Additional information for non-degree students:

  • Completing this form for enrollment as a non-degree student does not constitute application for admission to any degree or certificate program offered by IU. If you intend to apply for admission to a degree-seeking program, you must contact the IU Admissions Office at 300 North Jordan Avenue, (812) 855-0661.
  • You can find the current tuition & fee rates on Student Central on Union's Website. If you have any questions, contact Student Central on Union.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible for most types of financial aid. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at Student Central, 408 N. Union Street, (812) 855-6500, or visit Student Central.
  • Please contact the Students in Transition office at if you have any advising questions.
  • If you do not already hold a baccalaureate degree, you are limited to a total of 18 credit hours throughout your career as non-degree student. There is no limit to the number of courses you can take if you have already received a baccalaureate degree. If you take 18 credit hours before holding an undergraduate degree, but go on to earn a degree, you can return after your degree as a non-degree student with no limit on your credit hours.
  • This non-degree program is only for enrollment in undergraduate courses. If you are interested in enrolling in graduate-level courses (numbered 500 and above), please contact the University Graduate School at 812-856-4503, or visit
  • It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with IU policies, procedures, and deadlines. These are published in the Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin and online at It is also your responsibility to know of any school- or course-specific policies or restrictions if you intend to apply to a degree program in the future. 

Direct all other questions to the OVPUE Records office by e-mail at, by phone at call (812) 855-7797, or by dropping by our office in Maxwell Hall 028 (9am - 4pm).