Re-take a class for a better grade (Extended-x)

How do I retake a class for a better grade?

The Extended-X policy is sometimes referred to as the “X” policy or the “Grade Replacement” policy. Eligible students can use the Extended-X policy to remove a grade from the calculation of the IU cumulative GPA. Under this policy, the grade is not removed from the IU transcript; instead, an X is placed next to the initial grade on the transcript. Although the X policy will affect your official IU GPA, some schools and majors do not use the Extended X Policy when calculating school or major GPA.

To submit an Extended-X Policy petition in University Division, go to the Record’s Office in Maxwell Hall Room 028.