Need to Know

Student studying by trees and a stream

Nondegree Enrollment

Enroll in undergraduate courses at IU as a nondegree student to:

  • update your job skills.
  • "test the waters" before applying to a degree program.
  • take IU classes as a visiting undergraduate student from another college or university.
  • stimulate your mind.

NOTE: Students dismissed or on probation at IU or another college or university are generally not admitted to the non-degree program.

Click here for the enrollment forms for IU Bloomington visiting/nondegree students.

Important: please be aware that by completing the enrollment forms, you are not applying to a degree program at IU Bloomington. If you plan to apply for a degree program at a later date or transfer credits to another campus or  school,  please confirm in advance with the specific department or school that your courses will transfer as intended. 

  • Completing this form for enrollment as a non-degree student does not constitute application for admission to any degree or certificate program offered by IU. If you intend to apply for admission to a degree-seeking program, you must contact the IU Admissions Office at 300 North Jordan Avenue, (812) 855-0661, or

  • Non-degree students are not eligible for most types of financial aid. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at Student Central, 408 N. Union Street, (812) 855-0321, or
  • There is no advising associated with the non-degree program. If you have specific questions about a course, please contact the department through which the course is offered. You can view the Schedule of Classes online here:
  • It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with IU policies, procedures, and deadlines. These are published in the Enrollment and Student Academic Information Bulletin and online at It is also your responsibility to know of any school- or course-specific policies or restrictions if you intend to apply to a degree program in the future. 
  • If you do not already hold a baccalaureate degree, you are limited to 18 credit hours maximum as a non-degree student. There is no limit to the number of courses you can take if you have already received a baccalaureate degree. 
  • This non-degree program is only for enrollment in undergraduate courses. If you are interested in enrolling in graduate-level courses (numbered 500 and above), please visit the University Graduate School in Kirkwood Hall 111, call (812) 855-4010, or visit If you are working on an IU graduate degree and would like to enroll in undergraduate courses, contact your school for authorization to enroll.
  • You can find the current tuition & fee rates at the Office of the Bursar’s website: If you have any questions, contact the Office of the Bursar at Poplars Building W100, 400 E. 7th, (812) 855-2636, or

Direct all other questions to the OVPUE Records office by e-mail at, by phone at call (812) 855-7797, or by dropping by our office in Maxwell Hall 028 (9am - 4pm).