Academic Advising

Two students studying together in Wells library
Planning for a Summer Term

If you are thinking about taking summer classes at IU Bloomington or elsewhere, you are encouraged to discuss your plans with your academic advisor before enrolling. As you make your plans, here are some things to consider:

General Tips and Cautions
  • Summer classes often move at a faster pace because summer terms tend to be shorter than terms during the regular year.
  • Summer classes often meet more often and for longer periods of time each day than classes during the regular academic year. 
  • Intensive world language classes are available on the Bloomington campus and at other schools in the summer. These classes allow you to focus on language learning and earn credits faster than you would in regular language classes. Some students benefit from this kind of immersive experience when studying languages. 
  • Overseas Study programs are available in the summer as well as in the regular academic year. See the Overseas Study website for more information.
  • Financial aid (if you receive aid) may be reduced or unavailable for summer terms. Contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance for more information.
  • At most schools, there are few breaks in the schedule for summer classes. Are you planning vacations or other activities that might conflict with the classes you want to take?
  • Will you be working while you take classes? Remember to expect about twice as much work outside the class each week for classes taken during the summer as for classes taken during the regular year.
  • Tutoring and other academic support services may be limited or unavailable during the summer.
Planning for Summer Classes at IU Bloomington
Planning for Summer Classes at Another IU Campus (Intercampus Transfer)
  • Apply for a visiting (or temporary) Intercampus Transfer to the campus where you want to take summer classes using this form.
  • The other campus will contact you to let you know if your application has been accepted and provide the details of their enrollment procedures.
  • You can view another campus’s summer Schedule of Classes through your Student Center in One.IU or through the website for the other campus’s Office of the Registrar.
  • Call the orientation office for the campus where you intend to take summer classes. You could be required to attend an orientation program/event or be required to complete placement exams in math, foreign language or English composition.
  • Course numbers and titles are not always the same on every campus. Ask your advisor for help choosing classes.
  • Enroll in classes following the procedures established by the campus where you intend to take classes. They may not be the same as at IU Bloomington.
  • You do not need to reapply to return to Bloomington if you applied as a visiting (or temporary) intercampus transfer.
  • You do not need to have a copy of your summer transcript sent to Bloomington. You have one IU transcript for all campuses attended.
Planning for Summer Classes at Another College or University
  • Contact the college or university where you would like to take classes and request information about enrolling in summer classes. Also request information about any required placement exams or orientation programs.
  • If the college or university where you plan to take classes requires a statement about your eligibility to enroll in summer classes, read and print this document. Some institutions require “visiting” transfer students to submit a form verifying their enrollment and academic standing at their home campus. If you need this verification, you may be able to print what you need using Student Self-Service Enrollment Certifications. If you need additional assistance, contact the Office of the Registrar
  • Use the Credit Transfer Service to find out how classes you plan to take at another institution will transfer back to IU Bloomington. The Credit Transfer database does not include every class taught at other institutions. If a course you want to take or the school where you want to take it is not listed, you will need to complete the Credit Transfer Agreement Form and return it to the IU Bloomington Office of Admissions before May 15. If you have questions or need additional assistance, see your academic advisor.
  • Arrange to have the transcript from your summer school sent to the IU Bloomington Office of Admissions as soon as grades are posted for your summer course or course(s).